- To be the leading Emergency and Disaster Management unit in the region (Kenya) and beyond.
- To effectively prepare for and respond to disasters and emergencies, manage recovery and mitigation efforts in Kenya in collaboration with other stakeholders in order to save lives, minimize loss of property and to protect the environment.
- The NDMU should provide leadership, coordination, command, and control, before, during, and after emergences and disasters in the country while collaborating with stakeholders. It should as well be mandated to perform the following:
- Mobilization of resources and foster collaboration and partnership with other agencies on disaster risk management
- Planning and budgeting
- Training and capacity development of personnel
- Facilitating Research on different aspects/trends of disaster management issues
- Monitoring and Evaluation of DRR, Programs and activities
- Liaison with line ministries on national response efforts on private companies’ equipment hiring and compensation